Saturday, September 4, 2010

Oh, the horror!

Over the last week, the temperature in my part of Illinois has dropped from 90° to 60°... basically, Illinois warp sped from summer to fall, seemingly overnight. Every year, as the weather starts to get chilly, I get a hankerin' for some good ol' fashioned horror movies. I began the cinematic descent into blood, demonic possessions, deep psychoses, and deranged villains last night, by re-watching The Shining for the umpteenth time. I'm not a big Kubrick fan, but I adore The Shining. I saw it for the first time when I was 13 or 14, and at 28, it still manages to give me the chills.

Here's the beautiful and terrifying original trailer:


And, just for fun, a romantic-comedy re-cut someone did with scenes from The Shining. Hilarious!


The next movies I plan on re-watching are Rosemary's Baby and The Omen, two more of my favorite horror classics. Did you know that The Omen includes one of Hollywood's first, and, arguably, BEST, decapitation scenes? I have long been toying with the idea of making a VHS "Decap Comp" of all my favorite movie decapitation scenes, and this one from the original Omen would definitely open up the tape:


I have a list of some of my other favorites, and if there are any that you'd recommend, please leave them in a comment below. I'd also like to know what your favorite horror movies are, so I can add some more must-sees to my watch list. Some of mine, in addition to the few already mentioned, include: Dead Snow, Cabin Fever, 28 Days Later (I love you, Danny Boyle!), House of 1000 Corpses, The Good Son, Jaws, The Exorcist, Carrie, and Teeth (don't trust the shitty trailer - trust me). And the next horror release I'm really looking forward to is Hobo with a Shotgun (see the teaser trailer at the bottom of this entry). I found the link to this through a blog I just discovered this morning - Greatest Movie Deaths of All Time. Total Google score!

Happy horror-ing, guys and gals. I finally have a working internet connection again so I should be blogging more frequently. Subscribe. Stay in touch.

7 comments:

  1. I loved 'The Shining' as a kid - and I love re-watching it even now as an adult!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Omen is so freaky I'm getting scared just thinking about it...I need to rewatch and see if it is all I remember it to be! I love Evil Dead... funny and scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, am I the only one who can't say the word "horror" properly? I feel like I'm slurring the word "whore" every time. Just me? Good to know.
    Your blog description is intriguing... I'm off to look at more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not much of a horror fan, but I looove recut trailers. "10 Things I Hate About Commandments" and "Must Love Jaws" are my special favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Evil Dead, too. You should check out Dead Snow. It has a similar funny/gory feel to it.

    Thanks for commenting, all! I can't wait to check out those trailer recuts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! Stopping by from the Hump Day Blog Hop. I too love horror films..now I've never seen The Shining..I know crazy right?? My favorite horror movies are ones that are based on true stories...just something about these that I love! :-)

    Carrie A Groff
    Living a Healthy Beach Life

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love schlocky old monster movies: The Thing, The Fly, stuff like that. Everything that Vincent Price ever made. :-) Not properly "horror", probably, but they're faves around here.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...