Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Ian's Party 2010

On Saturday night, I went to a punk festival in downtown Elgin called Ian's Party. It turned out to be a really great time. Jaime and I got there pretty early, and were able to see some awesome bands. Highlights of the evening's line-up included: Heart Shaped Hate (with Chica X - a nine year old female rapper), Amen and the Hell Yeahs, Elephant Gun, Sass Dragons, and Zlam Dunk.
 
Despite the below zero weather, the night was a total blast. We drank over-priced PBR ($2.50 - seriously?), danced, heard some new music, and ran into old friends.

The last set we caught was my friends' band, the Sass Dragons. It was a strange experience... the last time I saw them play was years ago, in the basement of their house, surrounded by their close friends. They've really grown since then. It was cool to see their new followers thrashing around, spitting beer, and singing along. There's something extremely awesome about seeing talented local musicians getting the attention they deserve. They rocked the cat box with their set, for sure.

I will say, though, I almost felt a little too old to be there. I suppose that's because I haven't been to a punk show in so long, and, in a way, those kind of shows remind me of a time in my life that now seems like the distant past. I don't party the way I used to (thankfully), and I couldn't even hold my own in the pit for more than one song before being pushed to the back. Fail! However, the next morning, when I woke up smelling like other people's sweat, sore from being spiritedly shoved around, and hair crispy from the beer being thrown into the air during the last performance, I did experience a comforting wave of nostalgia.
 
O, the feel of filth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...