Thursday, January 14, 2010

Student Life

I've been back in school for three days, and as of right now, I'm predicting that this will be an interesting, relaxing, and fulfilling semester. I'm taking Art 102 (a 2-D art studio class); Fashion, Modernism, and Modernity; Beginners Sculpture; and Art History I, through ca. 1400. I like all of my professors, I don't have any classes that start earlier than 11 a.m., I'm taking the fashion class with two of my besties (Chryssa and Alexandra), and I have three day weekends all semester! What more could I ask for?

While sitting in my last art history class this evening, I found myself thinking, once again, just how lucky I am to be back in school and working toward a degree that, only a couple of years ago, I never thought I'd be able to pursue. Up until two years ago, I could have never guessed that, at 27 years old, I'd be focusing the majority of my attention and time on art, especially in a scholarly context. I am currently headed down a life path that is soooo different from what it was when I worked for all those years at the newspaper. I enjoyed my job in advertising sales, and, for quite some time, firmly accepted it as the best opportunity I would ever come upon to make a decent living; it just seemed so solid and practical, and the money was great. At first, when my newspaper started to fold right in front of my eyes (no pun intended), I had no idea what I was going to do. But, with the encouragement of friends and family, I am now aiming towards true, long-term happiness, and not just a paycheck and a good retirement plan. This is my fourth semester back in school, and every day that I attend class I have to pinch myself just to make sure this is real... and even when that pinch is felt, I'm still in disbelief.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...